Our winch thimble is the “Original” Winch Thimble designed and used since 2004 to prevent the winch thimble from getting pulled into the Hawse Fairlead where most accidents happen in winching, often due to winch “run-on” from electric winches. The Winch Thimble is designed with several features to reduce the risks during the inherently dangerous activity of self-recovery with a winch. Like hooks and standard steel thimbles, the flat base lands flat on the face of the fairlead to prevent pulling through the fairlead and also prevents damage to rollers and the smooth radii of aluminum hawse fairleads It is designed to work only with synthetic winch rope. The Winch Thimble forces the user to use safer connections than a shackle can afford when performing recovery operations. The Winch Thimble is designed to allow the least number of connections due to the fact that an anchor shackle will fit the thimble either by the pin or the body of the shackle and also because the winch rope travels around the winch thimble without the need of another eye thimble or use of a shear pin, like other thimbles.
Features of the Safety Thimble
- The Winch Thimble is precision machined CNC 6061 Aluminum Heavy Duty Thimble.
- Our Black Winch Thimble is anodized with an Mil Spec Electrolytic Two Step Process to help resist fading.
- The diameter and shape of the eye on the Safety Thimble is designed to adhere to minimum radius requirements to achieve rated breaking strength of the synthetic lines.
- The design of the eye has a deep groove that allows protection against abrasion on synthetic winch rope.
- The Flat Base design fits securely against the Hawse Fairlead and will not damage the fairlead. This is important because a scratched fairlead causes abrasion on synthetic ropes that can cause them to break.
- Made in the USA! The Safety Thimble is 100% designed, manufactured, packaged and shipped in the USA.
Winch Thimble Sizes
Our Winch Thimble comes in 3 different sizes depending on the size of the synthetic winch rope or application you are using:
Safety Thimble 1 : This is a smaller version for 3/16″ to 1/4″ synthetic ropes. These are perfect for ATV and side by sides that use the smaller winches. They are designed to be used with a 1/2″ shackle.
Safety Thimble 2 : This is the most commonly used Safety Thimble. It is designed for 5/16 to 3/8 synthetic ropes used on most Jeeps and off road vehicle winches. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle.
Safety Thimble 3 : This is the same size as the Safety Thimble 2, but allows for the use of 1/2″ Synthetic Winch rope. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle. Coming Soon!
NOTE: Safety Thimbles are designed to be used with shackles for rigging. Hooks can not be used.